In January, 2008, a local veterinarian diagnosed our 15 year old cat (Punky) as having diabetes. He placed him on insulin shots twice a day. 2 months later, on a Sunday morning, Punky started having seizures and collapsed. I contacted the local veterinarian, and he suggested that we take him to Animal Emergency Special Center (AESC) in Parker.
We had never been to AESC before, and didn’t even know where it was. As we were nervously making the 20 minute trip into Parker, we called AESC and told them that we were bringing in a diabetic cat that was having seizures. When we walked through the doors of AESC, they immediately took him from me, and rushed him into the hospital area. When the technician came back out into the office area to begin the paperwork process, I could see that there were 4 staff members, working on our lifeless pet. They got him stabilized and then came out to talk with us. They explained that his blood sugar level was so low, that it would not even register on their machine. They were unsure if he would even live, and if so, he might be brain damaged and blind.
The staff did a remarkable job in helping Punky to recover. After keeping him in the hospital for 2 days, we were able to bring him home. Punky has led a wonderful life since then, thanks to the great staff at AESC. Punky still receives shots twice a day, but with the expert care that he receives from AESC on his routine checkups, he is able to live a happy life. He even travels with us in the motor home.
The staff at AESC is very dedicated to their work and many have become friends to us, as well as Punky. I can honestly say that the staff at Animal Emergency Specialty Center saved our cats life. We are very lucky to have them involved in Punky’s care.
-Vickie and Roland
Toonsis, R. Sun & Bently
I don’t know quite where to begin to relate the story of my three cats and their relationship with Animal Emergency & Specialty Center. We have been seeing the staff at AESC since October 2006. I have to say that we consider them not only specialty vets and staff but also our trusted friends.
Our oldest cat, Toonsis, is a 20 year old Lilac Point Siamese. We brought him to AESC late one October night in 2006 because he became very ill. Our normal vet suggested we take him there or wait until the next morning and bring him to them; however, I could tell that waiting would be the wrong thing to do. When we arrived at AESC they said he was quite ill with pancreatic inflammation besides other issues. They kept him 4 days and performed surgery and numerous tests. I remember praying that if we could only have him one more year I would be grateful. It has now been almost four years and I feel blessed every day because he means so much to me and my family. We need to see the vets at AESC every three to six months and continue the treatment plan that they have designed for him. I have to say he is very vocal and everyone can hear him in the office. He helps Forest, the vet tech, with his rounds and lets his feelings known to everyone there.
Our other two cats, R.Sun and Bently, are Siamese mixes and are 5 and 8 years old respectively. R. Sun loves to play with bees. One day he got stung right by his eye and our regular vet was closed so we took him to AESC for treatment. He has also been treated for feline acne.
Bently was adopted from Petsmart in 2007 at around the age of 5. We didn’t realize how sick he was and nether did our normal vet. I instinctively felt like Bently needed to see the specialty vets because I knew he wasn’t quite right. I’m glad we did because AESC picked up on several things the other vet did not. Bently had a heart murmur that only Dr. Marsh picked up on and this warranted a visit to a cardiologist. He had a swollen Lymph gland in his neck and he had a feline cold and mites. His hair felt more like a hair brush instead of fur due several years of living on the street. Today, our Bently, is very happy and successful house cat. He sees the cardiologist once a year and is on medicine for his heart. His coat is like silk and his other problems are gone.
I can’t say enough about AESC. They are very professional but at the same time very caring, honest, friendly and attuned to every detail. My cats are part of the family and I know they love us too. I feel they deserve the best possible care we can give them.
– Chris and Mike M.
Julius & Jackson
My husband and I live in Castle Rock, CO with our two Schnauzers Julius and Jackson, and our world turned upside down in October of 2007. Julius, who usually has a more than healthy appetite, stopped eating. We knew something was obviously wrong, but we thought he had some type of bug. We took Julius to the vet we’d gone to for years, and they told us that he had anemia. When they ran additional blood work they could tell from the tests that something was very wrong. They immediately recommended that we take him to Animal Emergency & Specialty Center and that they would be sending his blood work to Dr. Marsh for additional review. Once we got him there Dr. Marsh advised us that Julius had developed IMHA, which causes the body to attack red blood cells. IMHA could be fatal, but Dr. Marsh advised that in Julius’ case we had caught it in time, but that he still had a long road to recovery. Dr. Marsh and her team quite literally saved his life, not only caring for him, but helping my husband and I cope. They could not have been more supportive or caring. Since that time they have been monitoring him closely and we have come to completely trust in them and rely on them, and it wouldn’t be the only time we need to do so.
In February of 2009 our other dog Jackson starting vomiting violently at one o’clock in the morning. We immediately drove him to Animal Emergency & Specialty Center where they were able to diagnose a severe case of pancreatitis and that he would need to have surgery for kidney stones he had developed. This was going to be risky because of the onset of the pancreatitis. After an evaluation with Julius it was determined that he too had stones and would require surgery as well. Again we were crushed and again, Dr. Marsh and her team could not have been more professional, or understanding. There were multiple times that I had to take Jackson back to the center in the middle of the night, because he was having a hard time with his recovery and each and every time they were available. In both cases I literally had hundreds of questions, and they were patient and took the time to answer all of them.
Animal Emergency and Specialty center has been a life saver for my family. The quality of care that they provide can’t be matched. I personally want to thank Dr. Marsh, Forrest and Cathy. They have come to mean so much to us. Without their help, compassion, and professionalism, we would not have made it through those difficult times.
-Angelo and Danielle D.
Tobi presented after visiting his regular veterinarian for a swelling of the neck and vomiting. He became critical, stopped breathing and lost his heartbeat, after CPR brought back his heart rhythm and breathing Tobi required a blood transfusion right away. It was later discovered that he had gotten into rat poison (d-CON) which caused him to start bleeding internally. Tobi recovered well after several days in the hospital.
“Everyone at AESC was so comforting and they took such incredible care of Tobi while he was there. I would like to especially thank Robyn and Patrick (I know there were many people behind the scenes) but you two will always have a special place in my heart and Tobi’s!” -Danette V.
“Jazz was undergoing routine knee surgery for a second time when the dog had what the vets called a “freak reaction” to the anesthesia. It is a rare reaction, but Jazz had similar complications during her first procedure, and the doctors had taken extra precautions to make sure nothing went wrong this time. But when Jazz went into full cardiac arrest in the middle of the procedure, it didn’t look good.” Luckily this story has a happy ending. Read the article from the Parker Chronicle here.