Nov 29, 2021
Title of Position: Oncology Technician
Reports to: Hospital Director
Rate of Pay: $17 - $24 Hourly
Overall Responsibility: Oncology technicians possess excellent technical skills and a strong knowledge of oncology and chemotherapy procedures. AESC’s doctors and technicians challenge themselves to stay current in their field and practice leading edge veterinary medicine. The AESC team works well together in a highly collaborative manner, yet also allows room for autonomy and advancement.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Facilitate the doctors daily schedule.
- Prepare exam room for each visit, including any necessary medications and supplies
- Retrieve patient charts from client services in order of appointment time or doctor request.
- Greet clients, obtain patients current body weight, reason for visit and brief history. Obtain other vitals and labwork as needed.
- Patient workup: including x-ray, blood work or other diagnostics
- Preform or assist CT scans as needed (training can and will be provided if needed)
- Anesthesia: induction, maintenance, monitoring and recovery when needed, especially for CT
- Appropriately handle chemotherapy medications
- Place “clean stick” IV catheter for administration of vesicant chemotherapy drugs
- Administer chemotherapy treatments as needed
- Cleaning and maintenance of equipment in the oncology ward as well as other areas of the hospital as needed
- Other duties as needed
Educational Requirements: High School diploma or equivalent required. At least 1 year of animal experience preferred. At least one year of Oncology experience preferred. CVT preferred.
Skill Requirements: Strong ability to multitask and anticipate needs. Excellent communication with staff, and between staff and upper management. Good attendance. Handles stress well and keeps a positive attitude. Excels at conflict resolution and superb at problem solving.
Physical Requirements: This job is physically active and requires frequent bending. It also requires routine lifting and restraining of animals in excess of 50 pounds.
Interacts with: All areas of the hospital.