Jan 11, 2023
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports To: Specialty Manager
Rate of Pay: $25-$30 with $1500 signing bonus*
Job Purpose: Our Anesthesia Technicians are a part of a centralized department that are responsible for monitoring anesthetic cases hospital wide including services such as: Surgery, Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Oncology, Neurology, Radiology and Emergency. They operate under the supervision of the anesthesiologist, various specialists, and the specialty staff manager. This is an overview of the position and is not limited to the listed duties below.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement prescribed anesthetic plans for patients undergoing anesthesia, from pre-anesthesia until recovery, and monitoring throughout.
- Performs patient pain assessments and develops proposed analgesic plans for cases using multimodal pain management techniques.
- Understands and uses AESC anesthesia forms in Smart Flow and EzyVet.
- Set up and troubleshoot anesthesia machines and monitoring equipment.
- Understand anesthesia machines maintenance programs.
- Implements prescribed analgesic plans for anesthetic cases using local, systemic, and regional pain management techniques.
- Demonstrates the ability to set up, maintain equipment, and identifies normal/abnormal ECG readings.
- Understands hemodynamics of anesthesia-related hypotension and possess ability to troubleshoot anesthetic complications.
- Familiarity with commonly used vasopressor therapy and when to implement during anesthetic procedures.
- Ability to set up and maintain a vasopressor CRI:
- Norepinephrine, Dopamine, Dobutamine, Vasopressin, Epinephrine.
- Accurately evaluates a patient’s ventilation, oxygenation and acid/base status utilizing pulse oximetry, capnography, and arterial blood gas results.
- Possess basic understanding of soft tissue, orthopedic, wound care, and bandage application procedures.
- Understanding of blood tubes and proper handling of samples.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform blood transfusions, typing and cross-matching.
- Properly and safely collects urine samples via cystocentesis for laboratory evaluation.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic veterinary practices, procedures, and terminology with a willingness to pursue further education equaling Certified/Licensed Veterinary Technician or Veterinary Technician Specialist (ACVECCT-VTS) status.
- Experience and comfortability anesthetizing patients ASA status I-IV
- Ability to appropriately handle, lift and restrain animals (dogs, cats) and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform veterinary medical procedures (i.e., administer CPR, draw blood, administer medications and fluids, and assess and triage patients).
- Ability to communicate well with other technicians and doctors regarding the needs of the patients.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and with little or no supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and produce quality work while making effective decisions.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Sick Time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance
- 401(k) with matching program
- Employee discounts
- Tuition reimbursement
- Scrub Allowance
*MUST be credentialed to qualify